1890 Mentor Ave.
Painesville Twp. OH 44077
The Workshop consists of two 2-hour sessions plus a two-hour test period.
Average workshop size is 8 dog/handler teams.
Fee for the Workshops and Test is $155.00
Interested in only taking the test? Test Only fee is $30.
Therapy Dog Preparation Workshop. Prerequisite - AKC Community Canine Certificate (Our Foundations 4 Class) or equivalent level of training.
The Therapy Dog Workshops will briefly review the obedience skills needed to pass the TDI test, but it is assumed that your dog already has the following skills:
- Group Sit Stay in a line of dogs (on leash)
- Group Down Stay in a line of dogs (on leash)
- Recall at same time as two other dogs (on 20 foot long lines)
- Meet and greet with other friendly dogs (no lunging)
- Sit or stand quietly for petting and brushing - examination of all 4 paws and ears
- Walk in a crowd of dogs and people on a loose leash
- Leave- it walk over food and ignore food offered by a stranger
- Sit and wait before going through a door
All of these skills should be able to be performed near other dogs. If your dog does not have the obedience skills required, we recommend attending our Foundations 4/Community Canine class either before or at the same time as the Therapy Workshops. Click HERE for info on Foundations 3.
The Therapy Workshops will cover:
- Sanitation & hygiene for visits
- Characteristics of a good Therapy Dog
- Explanation of types of Therapy Work
- Introduction of medical devices to your dog, including walkers, wheelchairs, canes & crutches
- Practice simulated visits using staff
- Presentation by a local healthcare facility Representative
Upon completion of both Workshops, attendees will take the Therapy Dogs International Test at Digging Dogs , Dogs must be at least one year of age at the time of the test. Other test requirements can be found HERE:
Note for Dog Owners: You must be able to control your pet in a classroom situation in order to attend our classes. .
We will have a test only on Wednesday July 12 at 12:15pm.
Our next full workshop will be in the Fall. Check back soon for details.
Click on the Class Name in the box below to Register and Pay Online via Credit Card.
Cash, Check & Credit Card Payments/Registration can also be made in person at PetWorks
8790 Munson Rd. Mentor, 44060.
(approximately 4 miles west of Digging Dogs at the corner of Tyler & Hopkins.)
PetWorks Office Hours are M-F 6:45am-7:00pm: Saturday/Sunday 8:00am-10:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm.
Copyright 2017 Digging Dogs Training Center, Inc. All rights reserved.